SURPRISE

Screw it, somebody had to write about it.

So up until chapter 24, I thought that the book couldn't get any more nightmarish. And then this whole scene becomes some of the most bizarre literature from a respectable source that I've ever read. The way I see it, the scene climaxes when the narrator writes the lipstick message on Sybil's stomach. And while the whole chapter is very horrifically comedic, I'm wondering if there are any deeper meanings behind what the narrator writes.

Well, the fact that he wrote it in lipstick might already have some deep meaning behind it. Lipstick seems to suggest something non-permanent and superficial. And as we later read, the narrator eventually wipes off the lipstick so that it doesn't say anything. But I think the lipstick is also suggesting a non-permanence regarding the narrator's current situation. Unfortunately, we don't get to see what happens to Sybil after her encounter with the narrator (at least I don't think we do), but at least to Sybil, their whole encounter seems like a forgettable one-night-stand, in a way. Sure it's a little odd to think about it that way, but I feel like the chapter frames the narrator as a kind of afterthought, or shadow that isn't completely there. Which would make sense, in terms of him being invisible.

But the most important question regarding the message is this: why Santa Claus? What sort of drunken passion inspired the narrator to write that of all things? Well, I believe that Santa is a metaphor for invisibility (never thought I'd write a sentence like that). After all, Santa is a figure that nobody's actually seen. It would make sense to use a (possibly) imaginary figure in this context, especially with the narrator's newfound invisibility. Also, parents use Santa Claus as an excuse to get their kids to behave, meaning they have full control over who Santa actually is. They can make Santa be whatever they want or have whatever meaning they give him. In a sense, that's what the narrator's been experiencing these past few chapters. Especially now, as Sybil categorizes him as this "big black bruiser". That's what she wants him to be, and in a sick way, that's what the narrator becomes.

Along with that, Santa is really only associated with Christmastime, which means most of the time no one really cares about him. Santa is just playing a role in the weird cultural story that Christmas is now. Sybil has created this demented story that the narrator is now playing a part in. And as brought up before, she'll probably never see the narrator again and will eventually forget about him. After this night, he'll probably just be an afterthought. Maybe to Sybil, the narrator is her Santa Claus.

Anyway, that's how I interpret this message. While I am being fairly immature right now, this scene feels way too Ellisonian for it to not have any hidden meanings or meanings hidden within the hidden meanings. At this point, even I'm using Santa Claus to mean what I want him to mean. It's bizarre on so many different levels. But hey, the narrator finally has consciousness now, so that's a plus, right?

Comments

  1. Okay wow. First of all, props to you for writing about this. You are very brave. Honestly, I'd been avoiding thinking about this scene, but I really appreciate you delving into the Santa reference because needless to say I was thoroughly confused. This could definitely turn into a short essay topic, considering how many levels you're exploring. You literally made an argument that both the narrator and Sybil could be Santa. I definitely don't think you're stretching it here. Ellison is wack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't think you're being too childish or looking too hard here. Ellison just loves putting hidden meanings in the smallest details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emma, props to you! I was thinking about what you said about Santa being invisible but he kinda reminded me of the Rinehart figure. Everyone knows who his is, everyone makes him into who they think he should be, yet we never meet him. Today in class, the question came up: is Rinehart visible? We could talk about that all day and still never reach a conclusion but in the same way it is like Santa being invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is a really good connection. I mean it's Ellison you can't really be reading too deeply into it. It's interesting how you mention that no one really cares about Santa other than during Christmastime, just like Sybil doesn't care about the narrator other than in this scene. And furthermore, the Brotherhood doesn't care about him aside from his role as a speaker and a pawn for their use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You also can't forget the obvious, simple explanation which is that both the narrator and Sybil are absolutely hammered and that the narrator's thought process might not be 100% conscious. But then, the subconscious is better at conveying meaning anyway. Interesting that the narrator writes it "in drunken inspiration." Does he think it's serious or funny? Love the post, though. This is such a bizarre scene in a book full of bizarre scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing about this, I've been wanting to talk about it!!! Yes I found it really jarring that he wrote "Santa Claus" on her. I think you make a lot of really interesting arguments and parallels that I would buy as being possible explanations for the meaning behind this chapter. For me, when I read "Santa Claus", I immediately thought of Mr. Norton. I'm not sure what that means other than the fact that the narrator is Norton's "destiny"... hmm??? I don't know!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment